Skip to main content

Volunteer day

Microsoft is teaming up with the city of Seattle to help with vaccinations across the city and gave employees first dibs at volunteering at the newest vaccination site at Lumen Field. I was able to sign up for a volunteer shift on the 3rd day of the event and it was pretty neat to see everything in action. The site is massive - it can supposedly administer up to 22,000 vaccines in a day. That volume is entirely dependent on vaccine availability though and when I volunteered, it only administered just over 2,000 shots. Still, it was impressive to see the scale and to see how well run it was. We chatted with one of the organizers and she said that she and about 5 others were called up in Feb to get this going in about 6 weeks. Pretty cool!

My shift was from 1:45 until closing time at 6:15. I selected "wayfinding" and got stationed at the handicap entrance to be a greeter. My job was to direct people to the right line (there was only 1 very well marked and roped off line so not hard to do), see if they needed wheelchair assistance (if yes, grab a volunteer wheelchair assistant), and count the number of people who came in on a clicker. Because it was the handicap entrance, it was not at all busy - I counted about 45 people coming in my entire shift! There was a lot of waiting around and chatting with other fellow volunteers, which, coincidentally included a former colleague who happen to be there too. It was nice to catch up with him.

It was very rewarding to be part of the event even though my contribution was miniscule. The next best part is that I now qualify to get a vaccine and I'm scheduled for my shot on Saturday! I'd actually love to do more shifts but apparently, word has spread that it's a very neat experience to be a part of and all of the volunteer spots for the next few weeks are already taken up. They even sent out an email to employees asking for those who have already volunteered to let others have a chance. 

Anyway, I'm so relieved to see a light at the end of the tunnel after this long long long year!   



This was at the end of the day after they had closed a few lines. In the background is where ou get the shot, in the foreground is the observation zone.

 

Comments

  1. So weird! I posted a comment previously but it didn't show up! Anyway -- so cool that you got to be a part of this. It's a great thing to do. Plus, you're a part of history! And of course -- YAY you get the vaccine now too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Japan trip

We got back from Japan about a week ago and we're still talking about what a great trip it was!  Japan has never been super high on my places to visit but for a lot of reasons (I've never been, it's clean, it's safe, it's different) we took the plunge and booked it as our summer vacation this year. It helped that our friends, the Wongs, went last year, raved about it and loved it so much they were going again and we were able to coordinate so that some of our trip overlapped with theirs. It helped even more that the yen is at a 10-year low (maybe all time low?) against the dollar, which, aside from airfare, made everything quite affordable.  Look how low the yen is! We lucked out that it kept falling after we booked our tix in Dec. Since this was our first big overseas trip since COVID and with kids (or, lets face it, SINCE kids), I dove into prepping for our trip - including trying to keep up my Duolingo streak of learning Japanese for at least a few minutes everyd

Family time

I had to do a quick trip to LA towards the end of July to say goodbye to my Uncle Pang, who passed away a few weeks earlier. I have fond memories of fun cousin time at his house in Palos Verdes and Uncle Pang taking us to the beach when we were younger. I remember how he delighted in making us kids squeal with laughter by pretending the car ride was a rolleroaster - we'd take sharp turns and all of us kids would slide to one side of his Volvo station wagon or he'd slow the car down to a roll and we'd all chant that we couldn't let the car stop and it would inch slowly forward at a stoplight.  Although it was a sad reason to get together, I think he would be happy to know that the weekend was also a wonderful get together with family. Because it was fairly last minute, none of the kids flew over which meant us "adult cousins" were able to have long talks and linger over food. Kin and Meredith were able to host a summertime bbq at their house and we had a nice t

Glasses

Nora got glasses! Now all of us in the family are four-eyes, haha. Her prescription is low but she was super excited about getting these. When she is older and hates glasses, I'll have to remind her how happy she was to get these!